Saturday, August 1, 2020

Unique cable labels & as-builts

I do cable installs for large construction projects (hospitals, hotels, arenas etc). As an installer I'm trying to find a happy medium between my job and the networking guys that come after me. I've heard labeling each cable with a unique hexadecimal number is encouraged because it makes for easy and accurate identification of cables. However, I could also imagine it would be a bit daunting to look at an as-built to find a cable as it would be seemingly random numbers with no particular order. Is it better to stick to traditional 1,2,3,4 etc since their order on an as-built would be more intuitive and easy to find or are as-builts not really referenced that much and most of the tracing/ID work is based on faceplate/switch/panel labels anyways



No comments:

Post a Comment