Saturday, August 29, 2020

Question about some weird DNS

I work in software support, networking knowledge is pretty minimal -- basically just enough to know when/how users need to enter their creds to get to the server's file share and when there's an issue.

So an office called with an issue the other day -- software can't connect to the SQL database. Usually this is because they just booted the database computer up and since we set the SQL service to delayed start, it takes upwards of 5 minutes for the database to be available. Not the case this time, instead I could navigate to the share just fine in File Explorer, but when I ran a ping, the IP came back 142.xxx... something super weird. Even stranger? when I ran ping -4 server it came back with the correct IP of 192.168.1.xxx. I ran a tracert server and it hopped 12 times across four states....

I changed the connection parameters in the software to just use IP after I verified it was static, but being software support, all I could do was tell them to bring the issue up with their netadmins. But I'm a learner and would really like to know what causes this, as I've seen it a couple times.



No comments:

Post a Comment