Saturday, August 22, 2020

Program that constantly reports IP address to a given server?

Hello!

I am an IT technician for a local government. I am looking for some recommendations as far as remote support goes. COVID-19 has driven me to work from home a portion of my normal work time.

Typically I use a VNC program to provide remote support to a variety of users that carry their laptops to our various APs, thus having their IP address changing each time. We also have users that make use of a private tunnel to our network. This can make keeping track of IP addresses difficult. I have tried to look on our DHCP server to find a given host name as we have several VLANS, theoretically making it easy to organize but these IP addresses are not always accurate. I usually have to have a user run an IP config to find their IP address, at least for our laptop users. For some of our more elderly users it’s a bit like trying to pull a blue whale through a car door.

Does there exist such a program? Something I can install on a client computer, and report the local IP address to a receiving server of sorts? I apologize for any lapses in terminology.



No comments:

Post a Comment