Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Networking for service with custom domains like github pages.

I want to run a service like github pages, where a user can send me some content to host, and point their domain to my server(s) with a dns record and have me host the content on their domain.

Sounds simple right?

But I want to make sure I host the content geographically close to the user (like a CDN does), yet as far as I can see a service like cloudflare wouldn't work for me - I wouldn't be able to validate ownership of the domain.

I could get the customers to use a CNAME to point to my own DNS servers and use GeoDNS, but that doesn't work for the root of the domain (where CNAMEs aren't allowed).

I could get the customers to point to an anycast IP address, but it seems no VPS provider will allow me to assign an anycast IP to a set of VPS's.

This is for a small hobby project, so setting up my own AS and IP block and having my own physical servers all over the world like github has done is probably not viable.

Is there any other way to get customers to point their domain at mine and route the requests in a geographically smart way?



No comments:

Post a Comment