Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Multiple Network Changes (Long Post)

I apologize ahead of time for the long post but I am in the middle of trying to implement several different network changes and keep getting stuck for long periods of time in stupid places and just get frustrated. Really hoping the Reddit "Brains" can give me a quick hand on this.

Environment
Sonicwall NSa2650 HA Pair
Dell N3048EP-ON Core Stack (5 Switches)
Dell X1018-P (My office switch)

Projects
Configure VLAN 200 with DHCP from the Sonciwall X0:V200 interface for new IP Phone System
Port Security using Radius and Certificates
(This are the two big ones right now. Also have DraaS I am setting up, Migration of 6 VM servers from 2008 to 2019, just finished migration to Unity Flash Array and I manage the Helpdesk Queue and the 2 guys that do the tickets. I'm a bit busy, but I truly love my job. Best place I have ever worked.)

Current Issues

I am trying to get DHCP relay set up for these IP Phones. These things have been a royal pain. I have worked with their engineers and made some changes and was finally able to get the phone to pull DHCP on the LAN network. However, exec's want the phones to be on their own VLAN. They also want the DHCP to come from the Sonicwall, reason being that if the main DHCP server were ever to go down, the phones will still be able to be on the network, so people can still make calls even if the PC isn't working.

I guess my struggle here is that I can't find a solid example of setting up a DHCP relay on a Dell Switch. I can find it for everything else, but not Dell. I was able to Enable l2relay globally, I was able to enable l2relay on the VLAN 200, I was able to provide the ip-helper address. From what I have found, I have that set right. Other than DHCP Option 82. I am unsure if I need this. The info on it just confuses me for some reason.

I also have the switch in my office set for dhcp l2relay with a helper address of the same. I can't figure out of I need the ip-helper address on this switch as well. In an effort to not cause any type of network outage I have only configured the VLAN 200 on the port the phone is plugged into and the port that connects my switch to the 3048. VLAN 200 is set up on the 3048 Stack, but the dhcp l2relay is only on the port that my switch is connected to.

So to make that a little less wordy

Dell X1018-P:
Vlan200 Tagged Ports 1(To LAN xx.10.1.x), 9(Phone - dhcp)
dhcp l2relay ip-helper address xxx.200.1.1

Dell 3048 Core Stack
Vlan200 Tagged Ports Gi3/0/8(Connection to Dell x1018), Gi1/0/46(to Sonicwall X0)
dhcp relay enabled globally, enabled on Gi3/0/8 ip-helper address xxx.200.1.1

Sonicwall NSa2650 HA Pair
X0:V100 LAN
X0:V180 Wireless
X0:V200 Phones DHCP Scope set xxx.200.1.2-xxx.200.1.253 Option 132 set for VLAN ID 200

I have wireshark running and don't see any traffic at all from the Phone. Nothing at all. The phone Config has been configured both for VLAN 200 and for VLAN 1 in testing. No traffic at all on either. Not 1 single packet. I have also turned off VLAN and get nothing. LLDP and CDP on or off, same result. I'm very confused by this. I know the phone is good. It worked beforehand. I got it connected on the LAN previously. I had to have everything turned off to get it to connect. VLAN, LLDP, CDP all off.

I just went through and defaulted the phone and am trying again. Nothing. So, apparently in one of the changes I made I have made things worse.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment