Saturday, August 8, 2020

IGMP Snooping vs Querier

I am a Valcom Intercom Technician, we have a local High School as a customer. The remote network cards keep dropping multicast. It seems to work fine for months but then it always quits. I'm not sure what to tell the head of IT. Honestly, I'm not sure if its my equipment or his network. All I know is every time I bring the two cards together and patch them with a crossover they work fine.

I have heard that one of the two types of IGMP could be the problem... Is there one method that stays enabled, wether or not multicast traffic detected? I think this is the root of my issue. I've noticed a pattern that if the school is on break for a while, then comes back the cards never seem to work. I have to come out on site and power reset them. Is the network disabling multicast traffic because it's not being used at that time?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks



No comments:

Post a Comment