Saturday, August 15, 2020

How far will LLMNR or mDNS go?

I am familiar with SOHO networking but I took over IT last year for a small private school (150 workstations) where we have a more compartmentalized system. Part of updating the system was moving DHCP to a Meraki MX 84 (to get it off the 10 year old WinServer. I only found out after school started that the Meraki will not run internal DNS (since external DNS works fine).

I tried to patch this hole with Pi-Hole, but it doesn’t get hostname info from the Meraki (I don’t know why).

We have 5 VLANs (don’t know why) and a buddy (pro SOHO IT guy) suggested dropping them in favor of a single LAN. He said I could use Windows native LAN discovery, which I found is called LLMNR. The name mDNS also came up in my search for answers. I’m basically familiar with Bonjour, having using MacOS and iOS devices for many years.

So will LLMNR or mDNS work for 150 workstations? 192.168.1.XXX would offer 255 possible addresses: that looks like a nice cushion to me on 150 units. We have 24 hour IP leases. (100 of them are laptops FWIW.)



No comments:

Post a Comment