Friday, August 21, 2020

Ethernet over Phone Line, money not an issue.

So the old world of CAT3 IDFs and Racks that's are so small I can't believe people were aloud to install them in the first place has struck me this week.

I have a SHDSL Hub Modem thingo which looks older then me supporting this large campus sites remote office. One end of the Hub is ethernet and connects to a cisco switch and the other is RJ11 Phone Line which patches to this CAT3 IDF that I assume runs down and goes into the rack in which I see the CDP Neighbour from the switch.

The office is a good 5min walk from its CDP neighbour and apparently 1mbps is what they're getting out of it. I've only been to this site once and the next time I go I'd like to see if I can upgrade this obvious bottle neck to the remote office. In these times of covid people are getting spaced out to the whole site and so ensuring each square block of land on the site can be utilised is the customers key requirement.

So before I take this request to our vendors ect I was wondering whether our Reddit legends may know of a great way to up this network? My first thought is to figure out how to source these old hubs, but I'm wondering if there is something newer which might assist, else should I buy 5 of these and create a 5mbps port channel? Mbps is probably all they'll need, it's really just the video requirements shutting them down. Alternatively I may install a 4G Cradlepoint and set it up as a new site.

Interested for feedback, thanks all.



No comments:

Post a Comment