Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Don’t forget the obvious

Don’t forget the obvious

As things are crazy and stressful right now I thought maybe someone could learn from my mistake. So, I’ve had a school site with some odd, terrible intermittent wireless issues for several months. I could not figure out what was happening. Some days it would work fine, some days it was just slow, and some days it wouldn’t work at all. I checked everything, or so I thought. It turns out MS DHCP Server will let you set a scope with a default gateway that is also in your address pool. It seemed too obvious to be DHCP so I only glanced at the scope. The issue was that ever so often a client would be issued the gateway address and would completely screw the network.

So, I say all that to say don’t neglect the small, obvious things. It’s not always some massively complicated issue.



No comments:

Post a Comment