Friday, August 7, 2020

Do I need an L3 Switch?

Okay, so I have two appliances each with their own Public IP and they talk to each other over their WAN IP's. Let's say IP A is 123.456.7.8 and IP B is 123.456.9.10. Currently, they are on both on the same WAN L2 switch and in order for them to route they obviously must go back to my ISP and do the switching on their end (because my WAN switch is obviously only a L2 switch). I would like to make this more efficient by seeing in I can route it at my WAN switch level rather than my ISP's upstream one, would an L3 switch be the appropriate way of going about this and how would I configure such a thing if this were to be the correct route to pursue? (Obviously barring L3 switch manufacturers but just kind of a basic understanding of it)



No comments:

Post a Comment