Wednesday, August 12, 2020

DDoS Attacking a NATted IP

Hello,

Let me start by saying I am by no means a network professional, but I have a decent understanding of NAT.

I work for a local ISP as a Call Center Manager. We had a customer claim that he was getting DOS attacked. Like many ISPs, we use NAT Pools. So if somebody was trying to find his IP address to DOS attack him, wouldn't they just see the public IP that the customer is routing through? If the attacker found that IP, he could DOS attack it, and wouldn't that affect a large amount of customers also NATted behind that public IP? Or is it possible to JUST attack the one NAT Pool IP behind that public IP? Or am I so far from accurate on anything that I maybe don't understand NAT as well as I thought I did?

Any information is helpful, thank you in advance! I'm going to bring this up to our engineers tomorrow and see what they have to say about it as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment