Friday, August 28, 2020

Connecting 2 houses 1000 feet apart via fiber to extend LAN. What's the best way to do this?

I'm trying to connect two homes with fiber to extend the LAN from Home 1 to Home 2. They are about 1000 feet apart, separated by woods. I would bury cable in the ground between the two.

I know fiber is the best choice, but I've never used fiber so I'm wondering if somebody can dumb down for me exactly the process. I'm guessing I would need direct burial fiber, possibly pre-terminated. Then, once I have the cable, is it simply a matter of having a switch on each end with matching fiber ports, and then I connect it to my Ethernet LAN in both homes.

Questions that come up:

- Do I need to trench or use conduit, or if I buy direct burial fiber am I fine as long as I'm down a few inches?

- Any specific kind of cable, certain spec? I'm new to the fiber world, and OM1, OM2, OM3, OM4, etc don't mean a lot to me.

- Do I need a pre-terminated cable, and if so what kind of connectors?

- Can I buy just any switch with fiber + RJ45 ports and plug the fiber into my home Ethernet network and be good to go?

I would appreciate it if anybody could give specifics on recommended cable and switches on each end so I make sure I'm buying the right stuff.



No comments:

Post a Comment