Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Cat6 barely exposed outside - regular solid cat6 will be ok?

Hi all,

Running 20+ cat6 drops on a new construction home. Of these, 4 of them will be going to my exterior wall for PoE cameras.

On these exterior drops, do I really need to worry about outdoor cable? I know that's the best practice and all, but when I think about how much cable is even exposed outside, it's basically none.

The cable comes out of the exterior vinyl maybe 2 inches? And that's basically just the rj45 termination I would do. But then the camera is going to mount right over it anyways, so no direct exposure to elements. 99% of the cable is indoors.

Can I get away with solid cat6 for the whole job? I ask because then I can just buy two 1000ft rolls of the same cable and don't need to worry about outdoor rated stuff etc.

Thanks



No comments:

Post a Comment