Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Atuba APs and HPE OC 1920s DoS protection

TL;DR: Why did DoS protection on HPE OC 1920s switch stopped Aruba APs from communicating to each other?

Sysadmin here. Got a task to deploy a bunch of Aruba AP (IAP-303) with an HPE OfficeConnect 1920s PoE switch. Updated and preconfigured the switch. Turned DoS protection options, loop protection and storm control (not that I know exactly how each feature functions). Connected up 5 APs. After a few minutes one becomea a Virtual Controller master and I logged in with default credentials. After waiting a few minutes none of other AP show up. Some 10 later another AP decides to redirect me to its IP and seems its own master Virtual Controller. This goes on and I can't figure why they can't each other... Lots of fiddling around but no luck.

Next day and an HPE later I decide to remove this switch from the equation. Hook PoE injectors and an unmanaged switch and everything works! All connected show up in a master VC!

After resetting the switch to factory defaults I figured the DoS protection options were blocking communication between APs. Later storm control gave me trouble disabling some ports APs were connected to.

Anyone care to enlighten me as to why these two features would cause this?



No comments:

Post a Comment