Friday, July 3, 2020

Wireless TX / Gain Question on Access Points

Hey Guys,

I'm working on doing a Site Survey. I'm having an issue wrapping my head around TX Power, and Antenna Gain.

Take a look at this Datasheet for an Aruba 550 AP: https://www.arubanetworks.com/assets/ds/DS_AP550Series.pdf

The Datasheet states the following:

  • Integrated downtilt omni-directional antennas for 4x4 MIMO in 2.4GHz with peak antenna gain of 4.3dBi, and 8x8 MIMO in 5GHz with peak antenna gain of 5.8dBi in 5GHz.
  • 2.4Ghz - 18dBm TX Power

When I'm placing my AP in Ekahau, I'm able to specify total TX Power. To get true TX Power, I should take 18dBm PLUS 4.3 (For the 2.4 Band) - giving me a total of 22.3dBm TX - correct?

Also - I understand end devices have smaller radios and maybe unable to connect at far distances - just trying to get a true heat map from the AP.



No comments:

Post a Comment