Wednesday, July 8, 2020

What was your most scuffed set up?

A family member o’ mine is leading a warehouse for their shipping business but didn’t realize until it was too late that they only got DSL in their building. Very VERY spotty dsl. Drops around noon, is slow af the rest of the day all that jazz. Their solution? Buy a 2 hotspots from 2 different carriers to go to when the DSL goes down. They’ve tried satellite but it craps out in their warehouse. ISP won’t run cables to their place due to some civil dispute. But even the hot spots themselves are only so fast in the building they’re in since the walls are all brick.

So what did I get called in to do for this family member that lives across the country from me? Put the hotspots on the roof, wire it to an access point and configure them separately (office, warehouse) while the DSL runs a server they have someone else configuring.

Did I argue? Yeah a bit. Did I do it for them begrudgingly? Yep. Did it work? I hate to admit it but so far it seems to have worked fine but it feels so...Jank. I’m not a network guy but I’m the family’s “computer guy”

What’s the jankiest set up you’ve ever seen? And got any recommendations for fixing my families issue before I leave and go back home?



No comments:

Post a Comment