Wednesday, July 1, 2020

VPN Setup - please can anyone recommend reading material?

Hi all, I've been browsing this sub for a while and picked up a few things network-wise, and I was hoping for a bit of help.

I'm one of the tech guys for an AV company, which only really skirts around the networking side to get things linked up for control and/or video and audio feeds.

One common requirement for many of our clients now is to have VPN's linking every installation possible for both my team and the clients for troubleshooting or configuration.

We use Drayteks kit as we have a good relationship with our distributer, and I have followed much of the material they pump out for each router/firewall they have - but I seem to be missing a crucial part of the information needed that I can't wrap my head around...

I have gotten their VPN to work on a close loop system (having the router on my home network and using Drayteks VPN service to link down to it), but I have no idea how I'm supposed to register the details needed to have one external client connect to one of these routers.

I've read and watched what I can online (CompTIA training, some of Google's network training, official and unofficial Draytek guides and walkthroughs) but nothing really stands out as what I have to get setup for a remote use to log in - I looked into setting up a DNS server in our office as it may do something similar, but we don't really have a central machine that is guaranteed to have good uptime to host it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?



No comments:

Post a Comment