Friday, July 10, 2020

To the Australians here — Need Some advice on MIS degrees, job prospects, etc!

Hello MATE!

This is mostly for the IT folk, but I'm open to all suggestions and advice...

I am deciding between moving to the US and Australia for my master's.

I am 29 and have 4.5 yrs of experience with F5 bigip, Palo alto firewalls, Symantec proxy solutions, etc. Basically a very hands-on networking/network security role.

I am thinking of going for Masters in information science (MIS) /Masters In Technology Management (MITM) sort of course with a decent focus on both tech and business and also because eventually down the line, after a few years, I would love to work in a more project mgmt sort of role instead of a very hands-on tech role.

With the US the drama around the H1B visa is crazy but with Australia now, I got questions along the lines of:

  • the IT industry on whole and cybersecurity specifically are very small (compared to the US economy)
  • and citizens and permanent residency visa holders are going to be preferred over me with whatever student visa I will be on once I am done with master's
  • how is the overall job hunting experience for international students and the entire procedure with getting the right visa and eventual PR/citizenship?


No comments:

Post a Comment