Thursday, July 2, 2020

Security certification question re:WPS/EAP-FAST/WPA/802.1X

Hey guys. Networking professional here with 15+ years experience, but this is related to a new certification I'm studying for. It's security-related, and I tried to post in the appropriate sub but a mod there denied my post because he claimed it was too open ended/vague, but I think it has to be, as I'll explain in a moment.

The practice test I'm taking asked a question that said something like, which of these is best to configure when you need to support low power or legacy devices? The options were something like WPS/EAP-FAST/WPA/802.1X.

To my mind, when I look at those options, and I see "low power or legacy" I'm thinking this must have something to do with wifi and/or Power over Ethernet (PoE). All those options are either protocols for authenticating or encrypting wifi traffic. Of course some are newer than others, but AFAIK none of them have anything to do with power usage, nor have I ever heard that any of these are resource hogs.

I did try to research possible answers, but the problem is that if I'm right then I'm trying to prove a negative, which can be impossible if there is no proof that spells out that something is false - the proof of the negativity may simply not exist. So, as expected, when searching for combinations of these protocols plus the terms "low power" or "legacy" all I'm getting are results related to what features different WAP models support, and how to configure them. I'm not finding anything that actually answers the question as originally asked.

So what I need to ask is ... does anyone know of any way those protocols have any bearing on CPU/RAM utilization or PoE? If so, can you give me some more specific search terms that might lead me to the feature(s) I need to research? In absence of this, I can only assume this question is 'broken', for lack of a better term.

Thank you.



No comments:

Post a Comment