Friday, July 10, 2020

Platinum Tools Net Prowler or Fluke Linkrunner 2000

Im looking at purchasing a networking tester for our company. After a lot of research, I'm leaning between these two tools. Can you help sway my decision? Any other recommendations?

These two network testers are very comparable to what I am looking for. IPV4/6 addresses, Bandwidth testing, DHCP, Ping, POE load testing, VLAN ID, Cable length/fault distance.

I don't need Coaxial testing at all. Fibre testing is not a need, but we are using premade fibre patch cords and runs at our clients. Fibre testing feels to me like I am also future-proofing the purchase of the tool.

We would be using the tool once or twice a week. We've lived without this tool, but with what we can troubleshoot and verify, it would save us a lot of time and make for a better experience for our clients.

My background: I come from 7 years as a cable repair tech and 7 years as a mainline cable tech. I know the value of narrowing down the issue with the proper tools. I now run an MSP company.

TNP850K1 Net Prowler - This kit has the bits that I would feel comfortable to do what I need.

Pros - Cost ($1300 CAD). It does most of what I'm looking for.

Cons - I read about lan speed testing, it maxes out a 100 MB on some switches because of its hardware limitations. Does not do fiber.

Quote about the lan speed testing: " Contacted their main distributor and they said the hardware in the tester can only negotiate at 100mb but the software can detect link capacity to gigabit. However, since the Cisco switches will throttle down based on negotiation speed, the tester will only show 100 mb."

Link Runner 2000 Kit - I like the capabilities. The basic version is what I can work with, but with the kit, the extra cable reflectors might come in handy.

Pros - I like a lot about its capabilities.

Cons - Cost (basic: $2300 CAD, Kit $2800 CAD). the Basic kit does not have simple cable identification connectors, I'm stuck identifying/testing 1 cable at a time.

Look forward to your comments.



No comments:

Post a Comment