Tuesday, July 21, 2020

MST Spanning Tree and Reconvergence

Good Morning All,

So I have discovered that when topology on my network changes (add/remove switch), MST does it's thing and recalculates the network. I have a core switch that is set as STP root (priority 0) and it all works well.

In my network, I run a mix of Cisco and Aruba. They are all running MST. Ciscos also run portfast on each interface. Each switch only has 1 IP (Management IP, VLAN 100).

My problem is that when the switches recon, this VLAN becomes inaccessible and you can't establish connections to any management IP. I have read that reconvergence takes usually no more than a minute, but in some cases it's up to 30 minutes before all switches are back "online". It's only VLAN 100 that's affected, all other traffic is fine (for example to end devices).

Is 30 minutes a reasonable reconvergence time? I have a total of 33 switches and about 3 of them have other switches hanging off them. Are these "daisy chained" uplinks to other switches causing me these long convergence times?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers.



No comments:

Post a Comment