Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Looking for a Firewall/Security device that does 3 different things (repost).

(My previous post got deleted for low effort. So I will try to put more effort into this one. The replies I got for the previous one were very good.)

Hello.

I am an experienced Network Administrator. Unfortunately I have very little experience with routers and firewalls. We recently decided to move our infrastructure to AWS. For this we need a device that does a Site to Site VPN connection. This is the primary function that we need this device for. It needs to be very reliable since it is the key to our communication with AWS.

We would also like to have the device do DHCP for us. As well as allow users to VPN into the network from the device. For example if a user is at home and needs to do some remote work.

So far I have only looked at the dell.com website. Because we do a lot of business with Dell and have a sales rep.

Our price range is $1000-2000

So far this is the best we have found. https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/accessories/apd/a9918016

Some have suggested Fortinet devices. The department that usually handles our routing and firewall (this is the first time we've had to do it ourselves) suggested using a Cisco ASA 5515. Unforunately that is out of our price range.

My biggest issue is that I have a hard time reading the Tech Specs. Because I am such a newbie to be honest.

For example: https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/accessories/apd/a9918016

says

 VPN tunnels (site-to-site): 1000 IPSec VPN connections: 50 SSL VPN users: 2 

Am I to understand this correctly it can do 1000 site to site tunnels but can only handle 2 VPN users? That seems really strange.

I appreciate all your help. Thank you ahead of time!

edit: Also I should mention. We don't actually need any of the firewall stuff. We are already on a firewall that is managed by a whole security team. They do a good job. We just need the VPN and the firewalls seem like the best devices to do that.



No comments:

Post a Comment