Saturday, July 11, 2020

How to deal with congestion

Whilst I'm waiting for Fibre to be trenched in our neighbourhood (hopefully it's live by October), I'm currently using LTE / 4G (unlimited data, advertised as up to 30mbps) to serve my internet needs at home. DSL have already been discontinued in the neighbourhood.

So basically it works early mornings pretty well, as I get 20-30mbps up & down.... then by late morning / lunch time it would gradually drop to below 1mbps and would extremely slow (read dialup) till very late at night and then eventually gets faster again as people go sleep. After numerous complaints, the ISP say the "tower" is heavily utilised (meaning congestion) and it doesn't sound like they're interested in solving this issue, which I think would be investing in more towers / additional spectrum, etc.

So my knowledge around ISP stuff is limited as I'm a software engineer, but it got me thinking and reading up more about networks, etc. If you were an ISP / network engineer, what would you do to improve the network, on a very busy tower?



No comments:

Post a Comment