Tuesday, July 7, 2020

How does a network toner work?

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but didn't see this as a verboten topic, so if it is, please delete this and please direct me to a more suitable sub.

I'm trying to slowly learn more about networking as it's not my strong point, and I'm curious if you can tell me how a network toner works.

I've got a small bit of experience with them and know what their function is, however I'm curious as to why it works and helps you detect the right network ports and makes a sound when you probe the right one.

I tried a Google search and after a while found a plethora of toners for sale and explanation of how to use them and why to use them, but I haven't a scooby doo as to how it does what it does.

My best guess based off of the absolutely nothing I know about electronics and networking is that the toner emulates a computer and the receiving and sending of a signal is in a distinct pattern that the probe recognizes and uses to produce that effect. But that guess is pulled firmly out of my ass and I'd like to at least have a cursory understanding of the inner machinations.

Additionally, if anyone has any resources they'd like to recommend as I get my feet wet into networking for large organizations, I'd gratefully accept them to look over.

Thanks in advance.



No comments:

Post a Comment