Thursday, July 30, 2020

Fiber Optic networking

Hello all!

My workplace is interested in installing two fiber optic runs between three different buildings, to bridge an existing Ethernet/wireless network. My experience with fiber optics is limited, so I would like to ask for your opinions on this proposed set up, and if I'm missing something it would be greatly appreciated if it could be pointed out.

One run is direct burial, about 150M. The other is planned to be run through a pvc pipe, about 100M. Existing Ethernet network is Cat 5e/6. The ~100M run is expected to have much heavier use than the other. Since we don't have the tools to terminate our own cable, I'm looking at pre-terminated cable on LanShack.com. Budget is "cheap."

I'm thinking OM1 should work for both -- I understand it won't work at "optimal" 10G speed over either distance, but it should manage 1G, which is already faster than our existing network.

Single/multimode... I know single mode is better for long distances, but I'm not sure if either of these runs would be "too long" for multimode. I'm tentatively looking at multimode.

And then either StarTech or TrippLite media converters at either end of each run, to connect to the Ethernet network.

Suggestions are wholly welcomed! Thank you for your time!



No comments:

Post a Comment