Monday, July 6, 2020

DataCentre Internet Router - Alternative to Cisco ASR1001/2-HX?

Hi all,

I'm in the need for a replacement Internet router. I'm currently sporting an end of life ASR1000 series. It's happily supporting my 1Gb/s Internet connection. If it goes "pop" I'm in trouble (see end of life).

I wish to replace it with a 10Gb/s capable model, as my next Internet speed upgrade will need to go beyond 1Gb/s. I also wish to be able to peer with a couple of providers. (eg. my ISP plus Megaport). Behind this router is a HA pair of Fortigate 500E's which can talk 10Gb/s if we use the X1/2 ports.

I am in New Zealand and we only get summary routing advertised to us so I don't need to house the full Internet routing table. I do run my own AS number, dual IPv4/6 stack and other "normal" things that you need a front end router for.

I've received quotes for both dual/resilient ASR1001-HX and ASR1002-HX models and they blow my budget out of the water. Either my expectations are wrong, or I've spec'd it wrong.

A 3rd option is that I should stop looking at Cisco and broaden my horizons.

Ideally I'd also build this front end in a more resilient way (HA?), but I need to be realistic with risk vs. budget too. I'm co-lo'd in a tier3/4 DC so about as good an environment as possible in terms of stability and proximity to services.

What other options should I be looking at?

All pointers gratefully received.

Cheers.



No comments:

Post a Comment