Friday, July 31, 2020

Cheapest/smallest server for simple script hosting?

I'm exploring options for a super cheap home mini server setup so I can setup some scripts on the server and just let it run

The script itself is stupidly simple and doesn't require much processing power at all, and will simply be a cronjob that will run some Python scripts every few hours that makes a web call to some API. It's stupidly low calculation.

Now my question is -- what is the absolute cheapest way to do this?

Yes, I have thought about using something like AWS or Digital Ocean (the smallest droplets), but even the cheapest is at $5 a month, which I absolutely do not need at all considering how small the jobs are

Can you recommend me a cheap mini low-power system? I was thinking I can get an Arduino with a WebShield: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/WebServer

Another method, which seems better, is a Raspberry Pi with Apache/NGINX installed.

Are there any other options available?



No comments:

Post a Comment