Thursday, July 16, 2020

Bridging Two Subnets?

Apologies for the stupid question but I have recently setup a new network using a Ubiquiti Dream Machine router and multiple access points. The new network was created using the subnet 192.168.1.0/24. All devices on the network are on this subnet. I've also created a VPN server that places all VPN clients on the 192.168.2.0/24 subnet. I am managing everything remotely at the moment.

Everything is working fine except for the fact that the Epson printer that is connected to the wireless network is connected to a completely different subnet (10.0.0.0/24; its IP address is 10.0.0.54).

I cannot ping or log into the printer but I know it is on the network because I see it in the clients list as being connected to the 2.4GHz network @ 10.0.0.54. Looks like it has a manual IP address setup in the printer settings.

How can I bridge these subnets so that I can ping & access the printer @ 10.0.0.54 from a device on the 192.168.1.x network? Is this even possible?

I could always just change the subnet properties of the current network so that devices sit on 10.0.0.x instead of 192.168.1.x but I kind of just wanted to turn this into a learning experience to see if I could somehow bridge these subnets, get into the printer and change the printer's manual IP address back to the 192.168.1.x network.

Is researching static routes the correct path?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

thanks



No comments:

Post a Comment