Tuesday, June 23, 2020

You ever been the ONLY network guy?

Hey all,

I posted a while back about a couple of jobs I've been deciding on after realizing how much I don't enjoy my current role in a large NOC.

One of the companies presented an offer to me. The company seems great. I'll have engineer and design input and be able to make most of the calls I want. Nice bay bump and good benefits... However, The catch is I'd be the ONLY networking guy in the business!

This seems weird to me, but wanted to know if maybe it's better than it might seem. For one, they've been working without anyone filling this role for 2-3 months. The sys admins have been handling the load on their own. This seems like a good sign because it shows their network is probably stable, just a bit of a mess... On top of that, they've said they really have only had 2-3 major outages in the past couple of years and they were due to ISP issues.

Honestly guys, I'm just worried I'm a little underqualified and afraid I'll hit a point where something major happens and I won't know what to do. I have a CCNA (ENCOR exam booked in a couple of weeks) and 5 years of experience which include 3.5 of technician work and 1 year of junior engineer work in the NOC.

The new role would have be designing and making business decisions for the company. They have 18 remote branches and about 3,000 employees.

Tl;Dr

Have you ever been the ONLY networking guy in a company? Did you love it? Hate it? I really want high level design and engineering experience, but nervous I'm underqualified .. at some point you just got to take a dive right?



No comments:

Post a Comment