Saturday, June 13, 2020

Using SPAN port on Ruckus - how do you setup the receiving client?

I am trying to diagnose a weird DHCP/ARP issue for a new network device we're looking to deploy. (Basically, it's not picking up a DHCP lease on our netowrk, vendor says to get a packet capture).

I would like to take a packet capture for all traffic for that device, as soon as it gets plugged in.

I know some switches (e.g. Cisco/Arista) can take packet captures on the switch itself.

For this lab, we just have a basic Ruckus 7150 switch setup - which I don't believe allows that.

(Question - If anybody knows a simple way to take a simple packet capture on the Ruckus switch, please let me know.)

The 7150 can however, configure a port mirror - which is basically a SPAN port, right?

http://docs.ruckuswireless.com/fastiron/08.0.70/fastiron-08070-monitoringguide/GUID-A49CD129-9770-48E8-A36E-052995DF5CD6.html

So I was thinking I could setup a port mirror, and plug that port into my Macbook, and capture traffic that way. I do have Wireshark installed on the Macbook.

(My Macbook also obviously has wifi - so I would still have normal network connectivity through that).

My question is - what setup do I need to do on the receiving device? (Macbook)



No comments:

Post a Comment