Thursday, June 4, 2020

Someone Explain The Point Of Proxy Servers In Modern Networks

Just doing some reading about the Cisco Web Security Appliance, and having worked on Bluecoats in the long past anyways, I actually don't see the point of proxy-servers nowadays. If you have a decent firewall with next-gen features (IPS, Malware Detection, URL Filtering, Dynamic Feeds etc), then I don't see any real benefit of a proxy. Sure you can save a few megabytes from caching, but people have big pipes nowdays, so nobody cares; but even if you did, you'd use a WAN optimisation box like a riverbed which is far cheaper. I'm only frustrated because I keep reading stuff about it, and I just constantly ask myself, well what's it doing that a NGFW can't do already. Is there something I'm missing here? Is it just a bit of offloading for very large networks maybe? I dont know.



No comments:

Post a Comment