Tuesday, June 23, 2020

RSTP Question Unifi/UBNT Network

Hi All,

I'm a bit of a noob with networking and am setting up a network for a small business for the first time. My configuration so far is as follows:

Unifi Security Gateway --> Unifi 48P Switch --> UBNT 16 Port XG Edge Switch

I have connected an SFP+ port on the Unifi 48P Switch to the 16 Port XG switch. In the future I will also connect another 48P switch to the 48P switch. The XG switch will have connections with different servers aside from the uplink.

My question: For RSTP, does it make sense to set the root bridge on the 48P switch? Additionally, does it then also make sense when I add the 2nd 48P switch to set the 2nd 48P switch and the 16 port XG switch as the same priorities? Also, is there a typical standard to follow for the root bridge priority (4096?).

Sorry if these are quite basic questions. My previous experience was that we had the root bridge on two Cisco 10G switches using HSRP, so I just am not sure if I should be using the 10G switch as root.



No comments:

Post a Comment