Thursday, June 25, 2020

OSPF/BFD Sanity Check on Leased Circuit

Hi folks, I just wanted to get your input on an issue I am seeing -

I operate an MPLS network. (Diagram Here: https://i.imgur.com/i4jTQpE.jpg)

Both the SiteA and SiteB "P" Routers are connected to their peer router by a 1Gbps Ethernet leased circuit, of which each uses a different service provider. Each Circuit returns pings at around 11-12ms. I have been having problems with the top provider and enabled BFD last week to try and achieve faster failover.

BFD Config snippet:

key chain BFDKEYCHAIN key 1 key-string MySecretKey exit exit ! bfd-template single-hop MYBFDTEMPLATE interval min-tx 300 min-rx 300 multiplier 3 authentication sha-1 keychain BFDKEYCHAIN exit ! interface GigabitEthernetX/Y/Z bfd template MYBFDTEMPLATE ip ospf bfd exit ! end 

I am now seeing sometimes 20-30 OSPF up/down events on that circuit over several nights starting at around midnight and usually lasting only an hour or two. This lines up with what I have been seeing prior to enabling BFD, and is why I enabled it in the first place.

I checked my traffic graphs and we are not even close to exhausting our CIR, and the service provider is telling me that they don't see any issues with that link.

The bottom link, which shares the exact same BFD configuration does not exhibit any of this behavior.

I just wanted a sanity check here, as I think the Service Provider is full of shit, but I wanted to get some input from you folks on my BFD configuration to make sure it looks reasonable before I start raising hell.



No comments:

Post a Comment