Saturday, June 13, 2020

MAC Address to Host Name and OS resolution

I have about 50 devices on my network. I manage the devices with the following hardware:

  • Meraki MX65 (Firewall)
  • Unifi Controller
    • Unifi Cloud Key
    • Unifi 8-Port Switch
    • 6 AP's
  • Fingbox (Network Management to block kids at their bedtime)
  • Synology DiskStation 1019+ (NAS)

I don't have any VLAN's right now, but will probably set it up in the future to separate my work and family networks.

The problem is each network management device has its own way of showing the devices on the network. If I give a device a readable name on the Meraki, it may just show the name as something like hubv2-d052a826xxxxxxx on Fing and the Unifi controller. Also, sometimes the Meraki will show a device having a "Mac OS X 10.9 " when it's a windows device. I'd also like to correct this so it's always showing the correcting OS globally.

Is there a way to associate a mac address to a name, OS, etc ... on a global level on the network so regardless of which tool I use to manage the network, it'll always show the human readable name?



No comments:

Post a Comment