Tuesday, June 9, 2020

IP address hardware on printer

I want to preface that I am not an IT or networking professional but sometimes will try to fix things to save time and keep from having to call someone in. I was trying to fix a printer at work earlier and noticed that the ethernet card on the back was broken which was preventing the ethernet cable from attaching properly. We had another printer nearby so I removed the card from the broken printer and swapped it with the (until recently) working printer. All the lights lit up and the printer said it was online which told us it should be working. We were still not able to get anything to print to that printer, however, so I gave up and we have been using a workaround while waiting for help.

While thinking about this, I realized that the printers have static IP addresses on the system and was wondering what piece of hardware would that be tied to? Is it possible that the printer should work but the network sees it as being the broken printer rather than the printer we had been using? Or would the IP address be tied to some other piece of hardware inside the printer?



No comments:

Post a Comment