Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Input before signing 3YR contract in rural east Texas

TL:DR Home owner extinguishes all options other than 9Mbs down .5Mbps up DSL. Only other option is 3 year contract for CenturyLink business fiber 20x20 at $675.00 a month. Would you do it or move?

Heya peeps! So to expand on that, cables is .6 miles away and the price on getting it run was 40k out of pocket. The DSL infrastructure is so dated that bonded isn't available and when it rains its not usable. My wife and I both work from home. Starlink would be a godsend but there is no foreseeable date soon. My estimate is 2 years away. There is a point 2 point service here but I need to gain 80 foot and it's $300 a month. Anything with a huge latency won't work for me so no unlimited 4G or standard sattalite. So option #1 is listed above in the TL:DR and this situation is so fucked that it almost seems rational to sign a 3 year contract with CenturyLink for 20Mbps up/down and dedicated. That would be more than our house payment at this point as we owe so little. Option #2 we sell the house and move somewhere else in east Texas where we would be able to get cable. We are limited to staying in east Texas and finding a house that qualifies for residential fiber that also fits our budget is still eluding me. I've been at this for 3 years and it's the largest cause of unhappiness and anxiety for us. I've been knocked back to square one about 7 times now and I'm just defeated.

Any advice, ideas, thoughts or opinions are welcome. Please...



No comments:

Post a Comment