Saturday, June 6, 2020

DoD network IP address 140.24.171.0 shows up on my netgear C3700-100NAS home residential router (Spectrum ISP) causing internet issues forcing chronic reboots

https://web.archive.org/web/20200606105256/https://pastebin.com/mkJi9kFe

https://imgur.com/a/4zQxfdZ

For months/years now I'm constantly seeing DoD ip addresses in my netgear home residential router logs. I've been with Spectrum for many years, don't work for the DoD and no one in the family works for the government nor anyone that lives have ever worked for DoD etc...

Router is the netgear C3700-100NAS, and I've tested this on three different identical physical units. Home ISP is Spectrum cable.

https://imgur.com/a/4zQxfdZ

Chronically and consistently I'll intermittently get periods where the internet craps out, and by that I mean the router is reachable from another computer that is directly connected via Ethernet cable (not using wifi etc) and I can ping the local router on 192.168.0.1 etc but sometimes even though I can ping yahoo.com or 1.1.1.1 etc on any web browser session I cannot reach any actual website pages. Other times I can ping the router but cannot ping any internet based IP addresses even though I can ping other local device IP on the same LAN.

Suspiciously, many times whenever I start noticing internet problems and log into the router to check the logs I'll always see some wierd source IP address trying to target me and the accompanying router log column description of "[DoS attack: Illegal Fragments] from 140.24.171.0, port 0" in this instance lately it has been from the IP address of 140.24.171.0

I look up this IP address of 140.24.171.0 and apparently it belongs to the DoD network, but I cannot ping it, cannot traceroute it, and have no idea why its always there in my logs. I had even at one point in time sometime back had switched to a brand new router, of the same model, firmware updated, etc but a completely new physical device, but nonetheless I'm still getting these wierd IP addresses showing up on my logs and consistently whenever a whole bunch of them start showing up at the same time I start having internet issues of pages taking forever to load and/or then not loading at all and forcing me to do a hard reboot /power cycle on the router before it will work again..

I'm not using any devices to go between the router (Spectrum ISP), the coax cable plugs directly into my router, and I have a desktop that is plugged directly into the RJ-45 of the router itself, and in all my testing I'm using a desktop directly attached to the router via the ethernet cable and not going in-between anything else....

https://imgur.com/a/4zQxfdZ



No comments:

Post a Comment