Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Cisco and their stupid USB console port

Long time network engineer, and I've always just utilized the RJ45 ports on Cisco equipment.

We are now utilizing some IOT stuff out in the field for utility distribution and monitoring using IR1101 routers. Unfortunately these only have the ability to use a USB console connection and I cannot get this damned thing to work.

Pardon my ignorance here but can you utilize any USB to Mini cable?

After plugging it in it shows Silicone Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge (COM7) inside device manager. I have tried SecureCRT and Putty with the proper serial settings just like any other piece of equipment you're using the RJ45 connection and all I get it gibberish on the screen. I've tried changing the COM port to COM2. Unfortunately I cannot seem to get connected to this router.

I do not have a 'Cisco USB to Mini console' cable here but ordered one and it will be here on Friday.

Anyone else have any advice for this rather rudimentary issue? Kind of hard to make any forward progress when you can't even connect to the equipment.



No comments:

Post a Comment