Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Chassis based switches in Netbox

How is everyone representing their chassis based switches and associated cards in Netbox? For example Cat6k switches with line cards.

One option is to have a parent/child device, which enables me to track serial numbers of line cards individually (and using a custom field EOS of a module type), but tracking interfaces on the device is a little bit clunky because they're not directly visible when I view the switch, I need to click through to the 'related devices'.

The other option is to not track line cards individually and just add all of the interfaces directly to the chassis switch. The (minor) downside of this is I can't pre-configure my device types with interfaces because chassis switches are loaded with cards differently, depending on use.

Any other options?



No comments:

Post a Comment