Thursday, June 11, 2020

AP Reduction with 802.11ax

I recently took over a wifi network designed with a map and compass by someone with 0 wifi engineering experience. Most of the gaps were filled in with extra APs.

Our current set-up is a bunch of Meraki MR18s (bought within the last 5 years to show how stingy we are) that won't work for much longer. I need to convince my company to spring for a proper survey and WiFi6 APs (they don't like to spend on IT).

I also have no WiFi engineering experience but spitballed that we could probably reduce our AP count by 25-30% with WiFi6 and a proper survey. Is that too ambitious?

Most of our buildings are bricks and concrete, but we currently have up to 12APs per floor on 50x100 buildings.

What do you think? The benefits of WiFi 6 seem too big to pass up right now (Passpoint for brick and mortar buildings), but I think I need a drastic reduction in our APs to get approval.



No comments:

Post a Comment