Friday, May 22, 2020

vrrp on debian using keepalived

I have two debian hosts in the role of routers, running VRRP for a public /29 IPv4 and /64 IPv6 subnet. They are running keepalived to provide vrrp. R1 is master, R2 is backup, it's working.

A test host in this subnet is using the keepalived virtual_ipaddress/VIP as it's gateway for both v4 and v6.

As expected, the first hop in a traceroute/mtr from the test host to the internet shows the current vrrp MASTER host, but the icmp replies are generated from the physical interface address and not the virtual_ip / floating VIP.

Is there a config option or a sysctl in debian I can tweak to force the routers to reply to icmp with the VIP instead of the physical interface address?

Googling I came across the "use_vmac" option in keepalived, but I don't fully understand what this does and if it's what I'm after.



No comments:

Post a Comment