Thursday, May 21, 2020

Using SNMP to Automate Documentation

Currently, all of our documentation is stored in a Google Sheet (Our organization uses GSuite). It works well, and I like the fact that is cloud based. We (mostly) use aruba for our switches, and I was looking at the CX Switches, and one of the features that they have is Google Sheets Integration. You can pull data from the switches into your google sheet automatically, and that got me thinking. Since a lot of that same data (port, custom port name, tagged and untagged vlans, ect) can be pulled over SNMP, has anyone built a tool to pull data from SNMP and feed it into a google sheet?

I imagine that this wouldn't be hard to build (even using a tool like oxidized to pull pull the configs and parsing the necessary information from that), and using the Google Sheets API. I just don't want to reinvent the wheel.

I've looked at going to NetBox - and it is certainly full featured and a great documenting tool, but I would like to keep it cloud based, and NetBox has way more features than we would use.



No comments:

Post a Comment