Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Trying to wrap my my head around SDN.

I want to take my personal lab out of the L2 / VLAN age into the current day and play around with some SDN.

Been reading up on Cisco ACI, VXLAN BGP EVPN, Arista CVP, etc... I think i have the gist of it, but one thing i can't quite grasp. My workload is almost entirely VM based, and i plan to use Open VSwitch on my hosts. From my understanding, Open VSwitch is going to do the overlay for me, the servers will be the VTEPS for the VM's.

At this point, whats the use of ACI and the like? If the hypervisors are doing the overlay, would i not just need a basic L2 spine / leaf setup. Maybe use VPC instead of STP in that regard? The only question comes when non OVS / VXLAN devices need access to some subset of the network. In this case you would just need a switch that can be a VTEP to handle the VLAN -> VXLAN transition for those devices?

Or a router / server could do it too i guess, but a switch seems more elegant.

EDIT: For example, using some some cisco 9332pq's as spines, VPC to some 3132q's to get a basic leaf / spine. Then on the spines do VTEP for a few SFP+ ports to feed some downstream catalysts for a non vxlan access layer.



No comments:

Post a Comment