Saturday, May 30, 2020

struggling with port forwarding

hoping someone can help who understands this stuff better than i do. i’m trying to game with my friend and in order for me to create sessions within the game apparently i need to do port forwarding.

i went into my router and set the ports according to their instructions. my friend cannot see my server in the list. i know that the server is working because i have a start server bat file and i’m able to see it but only in the LAN section. when i join, it tells me on the server exe that my username joined. i can also kick myself. but it will NOT do anything outside of LAN.

i thought maybe it was firewall related, so i went into the windows defender firewall tool and added rules for outbound and inbound on those ports to allow everything.

i know it’s really hard to diagnose like this, but i’m just curious if there are any basic principles i may be forgetting? i’ve read all the forum posts and things that i can out there. it’s just not working.

thanks for any help.

tl;dr is there anything other than adding port forwarding in my router settings and changing windows defender firewall input/output rules that i could change to allow my server to be seen outside of LAN only?



No comments:

Post a Comment