Monday, May 25, 2020

Replacing Whitebox PfSense with an Enterprise-Grade Router

After running an old PfSense box for 5 years now, I'm looking to ditch it for an enterprise-grade all-in-one routing solutions, along the lines for Cisco, Juniper, and HPE. Looking to hit at least 1Gbps VLAN-to-VLAN traffic with firewall rules and at least 500Mbps WAN traffic sustained. Preferably, I'm looking to keep the router fanless and within 1U short-depth if possible. I won't be needing VPN functionality since I run VPN servers away from the router, but IPS support [similar to Snort] onboard would be nice.

I'm primarily considering the Cisco 1000 ISR series [1111X-8P or 1100-8P] but I'm wondering if there are any other good candidates to consider in these specs? I'm also open to used hardware that can still meet these specs.

I know Ubiquiti has some stuff, but I'm specifically excluding them from this discussion.



No comments:

Post a Comment