Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Need Help Choosing new Networking Brand for Startup

So I'm working in a startup that needs networking for management and general internet for our compute nodes and storage nodes. I'm building a small sampling of everything in my home right now due to Covid-19. I am currently using an infiniband switch and Ubiquiti switches which is fine for now since its my home.

Going forward though, I want to use real switches that can be used in a datacenter. My experience has only been Cisco in the past where I managed a team of networking engineers. I had to negotiate all the licensing contracts with Cisco and hear all the griping about some of the issues about it that has left a sour taste in my mouth.

So I am looking into other brands right now for networking. The plan is to keep on using the mellanox infiniband because we need the speed, but need a legit switch for management.

I'm leaning towards Juniper, Dell, or Mellanox in that order. Any other brands I should look at or which one of these should I choose?

Some basic requirements * easy to manage for myself, but can grow into it * Easy to script (I heard JunOS is easy due to the Python API) * Easy accessibility to used gear * Easy accessibility to talent for hire or contract * No paywall to upgrade equipment software/firmware * Avoid licensing hell (I've heard that Juniper is going down the same road as Cisco)

Any thoughts? My networking experience has been theoretical as I am a software guy, and I usually delegated this stuff in the past to others. So I value simplicity as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment