Thursday, May 7, 2020

ISP has DNS addresses pointed in the wrong direction

If this isn’t the right place to post this, please let me know. I am an individual, not a network technician or administrator, but I figured you guys would be the best people to ask. I signed up for spectrum a couple of days ago and none of my devices are able to get outside of my internal network. If I run an IP config in command prompt, it shows that I’m connected to spectrums network, I have a WAN IP address, but nothing seems to be able to get out of my network. They can see my modem and it shows it’s connected. If I just do a very basic troubleshoot, windows tells me that there is a DNS issue. Every time I call spectrum and mention this to them they seem to be clueless. However, one customer service rep I talked to said that he went in to my modem and saw that the DNS addresses were pointing in the wrong direction. Now he told me that he changed the DNS for one specific IP address, so now the only thing that works on my network is my PC. If I hardwire any other device to my network, I get the same DNS issue. I called back and the next rep I talked to was completely clueless about what the previous one could have done. Is there anyone who might be able to tell me what that guy did, and how I could phrase it to the next customer service rep I talk to?



No comments:

Post a Comment