Saturday, May 9, 2020

Dealing with legacy apps - vm or remote desktop?

I run a small business (8 staff including my self), we run 2 servers at the physical office. We don't really need the servers to do much except to act as a backup for our google drive and running as host for two very old legacy apps.

Since the COVID lockdown, we haven't had too much issues since most of our work can be done over the cloud (the apps we use most regularly are cloud based - think quickbooks online, etc).

Unfortunately, more recently, these two apps have experienced a surge in usage (the two legacy ones that require local hosting).

My solution right now is pretty much a band-aid one, I just ask my employees who need to use these apps, to remotely access their work pc from home (We been using the Chrome Remote Desktop).

Few obvious issues and concerns so far - security, and Chrome RD just haven't been a good experience (lack of a lot of functionalities).

Possible Solutions: I am looking for a better way to solve the above issue.

Solution 1 - I started trying out paid applications like Team Viewer/Gotomypc (both lags and costs very high for 5+ machines). Does anyone have better recommendation for a RD app?

Solution 2 - one of my servers have decent spec, and I bet could handle running VMs. Would it be possible for my employees to access this server and run vms to access the apps? Can I just use the Windows Hyper-V? (this server is running 2016). My follow up question on this would be, it possible to set up a URL that my staff can access via browser to access these VMs?

Appreciate any comments or guidance (or i posted in the wrong sub, please let me know).

Thanks



No comments:

Post a Comment