Thursday, May 14, 2020

Can POX controller handle legacy routers in a hybrid SDN/non-SDN networks?

As the title says, I am experimenting with a smooth shift from a legacy "traditional" network using routers into a fully functioning SDN network. I am using Riverbed Modeler. I have built an entire legacy network and ran a simulation. Then I build an SDN network with a controller (POX running and listening on a VM) and got the simulation running as well. Now the tricky part where I want to build a hybrid network. I want to make sure the controller can handle non-SDN switches on the network. So what I want to do is to work backwards on the fully SDN network and replace one of the SDN switches with a traditional router after programming its ports. But I don't know how the controller would handle it. I know that POX have different components within it and one may develop their own as well. But I'm not sure if an SDN component generally can handle non-SDN routers. Has anyone here worked on similar situations who can advise me?

Many thanks in advance.

Software I am using:

Riverbed Modeler v. 18.8

VirtualBOX 6.1 Running Ubuntu image

Python 2.7

POX (eel)



No comments:

Post a Comment