Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Asked to not access cable modem "configuration" page by support

So, I work for an MSP, who has a customer that uses charter as a secondary connection for 100+ locations through some type of broker, not sure of the deal.. We've been experiencing packet loss on a few of these connections ranging from 5-10%, and opened tickets on a couple of the more problematic ones where i saw what looked like layer 1 issues on the cable line. I got a surprising reply where they asked me to not access their "configuration" page (192.168.100.1) in the future.. Mind that it's a completely non password protected page that doesn't allow you to change anything.. I plan on going down the malicious compliance route and opening tickets on every minor blip I see asking then to check the line, but just wondering, is this a normal support response or is this broker just not wantIng to deal with us and figures if I can't see errors on the line, I won't bother them. My understanding was that the status page was there for the customer to check things before they went to support..

These are all fairly rural/small town locations, and in 7 days, I've seen interfaces bounce 92 times at 26 locations.. My opinion is that cable modems are inherently unstable (im a DC guy where if we see issues more than once every 6 months, I'm calling my AM to see what is going on).. and this is just how they act, but definitely interested in some professional opinions with more experience in branch type locations.



No comments:

Post a Comment